Online / Offline Voices!

Miss Law has been with us for almost 10 weeks. She added a post to her blog today. She said:

This week was a really funny week. Wednesday was horrible and then Thursday was really strange as well. It reminded me of things when I was at school. I hope it made everyone realise how much effort is put into making each day at school as enjoyable as possible!

I’ve just been on my google reader and Russell’s post made me laugh. If I knew how to put a link to it I would.

Here’s the link to Russell’s blog post..  RUSSELL’S POST

His post made me smile, too.

The ‘horrible Wednesday’ referred to by Miss Law was one of those days that we’ve all experienced. Things had got out of hand in the classroom and they quickly deteriorated into a place where nobody wanted to be! Miss Law had planned some ‘active learning’ activities and P7V were just not in the mood to ‘engage’.

I interviened and devised the ‘strange Thursday’ mentioned in Miss Law’s post…..text books, silence, hands up to speak – no voices allowed! It was a very strange and boring experience for all involved 🙂

By Friday, we had all agreed that this was not the way we wanted our class to be. We wanted to go back to the usual interactive classroom ethos.

The moment that the agreement was reached, Russell’s first request was, ‘Can I go and post something on my blog?’- he doesn’t blog very often!  He wrote

celebrate good times come on!!! 

YES!!!        We are back doing co-operative learning    YES!!!

We were sitting right there in front of him …. but he chose to express this thought online via his blog.

More reflection soon 🙂

4 thoughts on “Online / Offline Voices!

1. Read this and laughed out loud – we had the exact same thing happen in our class about two weeks back, and I dealt with it in the exact same way – lots of worksheets, endless, pointless writing, busy-work and silence. A truly HORRIBLE day for everyone involved 🙁

After some in depth discussions we’ve been able to get back on track. I, for one, can never “go back” to that way of “teaching” because there was no real learning happening.

Russells response shows that he “gets it!” – now if they could all remember it all the time ……..

2. Thanks for the comment! It’s great to realise that others out there have a similar agenda. I shared your comment with the class this afternoon – I think they got the point, but they had only ONE burning question.

… “How did they get that cool star icon to appear?”

They want our school badge logo to appear on our comments … I’m working on it 🙂

(how many hours in a working week??)

3. A badge logo like the one I’ve got? 🙂

This is a very nice site mum, lots of good ideas. I’m just having a look around just now.

4. Ha Ha!! Super 🙂 …. I’ll ‘pinch’ it for the class blog!

Thanks for the email link to the wikipatterns. com site. I’m having a look now 🙂